David Jones has launched a new sustainability portal dubbed Mindfully Made.
The hub allows consumers to shop via five sustainability attributes - Australian Made, Community Minded, Sourced with Care, Reduce and Recycle and Kind to Animals.
Consumers are able to shop these categories both in store and online and the digital portal will be updated continuously to feature sustainability news and information.
The launch of the hub is accompanied by a campaign which spotlights the stories behind the brands and makers across the David Jones fashion, beauty, food and home offerings.
David Jones head of sustainability Eloise Bishop said the business was thrilled to launch Mindfully Made.
"As we work to minimise our environmental impact as a retailer, the launch of our David Jones Mindfully Made hub marks a significant milestone on our Good Business Journey.
"We recognise our responsibility to drive positive change in the industry and are in a unique position to highlight brands making meaningful progress in this space.
"Increasingly, our customers seek greater insight into where and how their favourite brands are manufactured, and Mindfully Made’s objective is to support customers in making informed shopping choices.
"While we are proud of the advancements we’ve made since the commencement of our Good Business Journey in 2015, we know there is more work to do in understanding our environmental impact and lifting the standards of both our business and the wider industry.
"We are committed to investing in best practice and sharing this journey with our customers," she said.
The digital portal is live now and customers are able shop Mindfully Made edits in David Jones Elizabeth Street, Bourke Street Mall, QueensPlaza, Adelaide Central Plaza, Hay Street, Bondi Junction and Chadstone.
Each of the David Jones Mindfully Made categories are defined below.
- Australian Made: Brands that support the local industry and community by manufacturing right here in Australia
Featured brands: Bassike, Viktoria & Woods, R.M Williams, Dinosaur Designs, Nobody Denim, Grown Alchemist and Bec + Bridge
- Community Minded: Brands that focus on supporting communities, supply chain transparency, the welfare of workers and fair working conditions. This includes Ethical Clothing Australia accreditation, investing in local artisans, growers and designers, and sharing the value of close relationships between designers and makers.
Featured brands: Outland Denim, Mini Jumbuk, Arnsdorf, Country Road, Soko and Cue
- Sourced with Care: Brands that focus on the use of responsibly sourced materials, innovative fabrications and mindful processes throughout the supply chain to minimise environmental impact.
Featured brands: KITX, Country Road, VEJA, Weleda, Bellroy and Kora
- Reduce & Recycle: Brands that adopt innovative and conscious ways to upcycle, recycle and reduce waste, including the use of dead-stock fabrics, waterless denim production, small-scale collections and the acknowledgment that 'waste' is a valuable commodity.
Featured brands: Nudie Jeans, Bianca Spender, Keepcup, Waverly Mills and Neuw Denim
- Kind to Animals: Brands that use cruelty-free production methods and ingredients that do not harm animals. This includes vegan fabrics, non-mulesed wool and beauty products not tested on animals.
Featured brands: Nanushka, Sans Beast, Edible Beauty and Urban Originals