Easton Pearson, Akira, Paul Hunt and Scanlan & Theodore have been announced in the group of Australian designers to show at the Mercedes-Benz Fashion Festival – Brisbane this August.
The designer line-up for the event, set to take place from Saturday August 20 to Friday August 26, was announced today, and includes over 49 local designers, eight national designers, five retailers and five retail centres.
Designer labels such as Josh Goot, Little Joe by Gail Elliot, Man & Woman by Peter Morrissey and Toscano will also show at the event, along with swimwear brands Camilla, White Sands, Rebecca Manning Swim, Foxton Danger and Saucy Rose Swim – to name a few.
The Mercedes-Benz Fashion Festival – Brisbane will host 23 events over the seven-day period, including eight group shows, an off-site swimwear group show, the Westfield Chermside Australian Fashion Graduate of the Year Award along with the Festival Gala Highlights Parade and closing party.
A selection of fashion lunches, such as the Myer Fashion Luncheon showcasing new season designs by Sass & Bide and Leona Edmiston, will also feature, alongside high teas and fashion showings at QueensPlaza and ‘fashion after hours’ panel discussions which will round out the event. Free parades on Brisbane's Queen Street Mall will also run as part of the festival.
Group shows will be staged in a purpose-built 60 metre marquee in the Cultural Forecourt, South Bank and guests will also be treated to drinks at the ‘The Fashion Bar’, located at the Cascade Court at QPAC.
The Mercedes-Benz Fashion Festival – Brisbane is part of a comeback by the beleaguered state of Queensland, which has endured recent natural disasters, and treasurer and minister for State Development and Trade Andrew Fraser said the event would be a positive step forward for Queensland.
“The Bligh Government wants to ensure that the avenues are there for our young designers to showcase their talents and continue Queensland’s strong tradition in fashion as well as provide positive foundations for our economy,” he said.
“Our state’s creative industries are worth approximately $3.4 billion a year to the economy, with exports valued at $1.1 billion and employing around 74,000 Queenslanders.”
The Fashion Festival has also picked up support from a string of sponsors, including Mercedes-Benz, South Bank Corporation, Queensland Government, QPAC, Brisbane Marketing, Myer, Brisbane Marriott Hotel, Brisbane Arcade, Foreshore Hamilton by Mirvac, QueensPlaza, Sanpellegrino, Peroni, Deakin Estate, Mallesons Stephen Jaques, Westfield Chermside, Avant Card and QUT Creative Enterprise Australia.
Make-up artist Napoleon Perdis will also support the festival as the official makeup partner, with his team to provide make-up for all events. Schwarzkopf Professional is also involved as the official hair partner for the festival.
Festival Director Lindsay Bennett also said he expects the turnout this year to mirror or exceed last year's event.
“Due to the success of last year’s sales, the people of Queensland have demonstrated they want to see great fashion, in a great atmosphere and I have no doubt that tickets will again be in demand,” he said.
To view the complete 2011 program for the Mercedes-Benz Fashion Festival – Brisbane go to: http://www.mbff.com.au/program-2.html.